Important requirement you should know about your new water heater:
- Location—Prohibited in Bedrooms, bathrooms or closets (with some exceptions)
- Full bore water shut off valve on the cold water side must be installed
- Water tight drip pan required if the water heater is over a framed area.
a. Drip pan requires a minimum ¾ inch drain line that discharges to an approved location
b. Drip pan must be 2 inches in diameter larger than the water heater
c. Drip pan height must be a minimum of 2 inches high
- Access to the front of the water heater must be a minimum of 30 inch of clear space
- Protection from vehicles required by bollards or location.
- Flame or spark must be a minimum of 18 inches above the floor.
- Water heaters must be supported on ground by 3 inch thick concrete pad abovegrade
- Earth quake straps are required.
- Straps must wrap all the way around the water heaters.
- Must be able to inspect and remove the water heater.
- Combination Temperature Pressure Relief (TNP) valve required.(City of Los
- Angeles as of 2008 prohibits the use of 210 Valves—due to failed seals and waterentering the gas supply.)
- A TNP dischard drain lines must be installed.
- TNP Drainline may not slope upwards, drain to drip pans or discharge to crawlspaces.
- Flexible connectors cannot be used as TNP drain lines.
- Vent connectors must be mechanically secured by screws to the water heater (metal tape is not accepted)
- Enclosures required for exterior installations unless the water heater is listed for Exterior use